1. Make sure your website is up to date
Website viewing is on the decline, so if your site is not changing nobody is coming back
2. Contribute items to your website at least once a week
There are so many great, easy-to-use CMS (customer management systems). Your site does not have to be overly designed. Simplicity is everything. Navigation is key. WordPress, TypePad or Blogger. Cheap templates available.
3. Bookmark links to other sites and information sources
It’s very difficult to come up with all the content yourself. Keep a library of other sites that you can pull from for inspiration or link to. Keep it local if you can, find out what AM1150 has to say about a subject
4. Get a Fan page established for your business
These should be a mini duplication of your website. Step it up a little. The value is they allow you to send out information to targeted people who are interested in you business. Great example is Kelowna Cycle: K-town cycle news designed as a community resource for local bikers.
5. Get a twitter account
Try it out.. you never know. You may find stuff you did not know. I am surprised what I glean everyday
6. Add your profile to LinkedIn
Another great way to connect and network with people in your industry. Great for employee hunting and ultimately it is for people to track down the talents of your business skills.
7. Work with a social media professional
They should have whitepapers available to prove return on investment for their clients (testimonials). Just because individuals or web companies or agencies are using social media does not necessarily mean they know how to link it all together
8. Link up with a radio station that is appropriate to your demographic
Get some social media promotions happening with them. Some local radio stations like this one have a lot of social following. So it’s worth tagging onto that… again asking a pro how.
9. Network with other similar like minded businesses locally
Spread nationally and internationally. Don’t be afraid of competition. Embrace it and collaborate. If your business is in a specific category perhaps you can work together.
10. Dedicate 10mis a day (at least) to promoting your business through social media avenues.This is the tough one!!! Finding the time. All of the above nine are relatively simple things but none of them will work unless you make the time to work on them daily. Use Google analytics change learn how to use
Things of note this week:
Last week the traffic Alexa Rankings had Facebook #1 over Google.
Twitter owner announced in conference in Texas the new proprietary @anywhere which will link websites to people twitter accounts directly without having to be a twitter person.
Conan O’brian still following only one person
Has 680,000 people following him and looks like he has managed to sell out his US tour based on two tweets: “I had a show. Then I had a different show. Now I have a Twitter account.”
On youtube: the new clip for the twilight saga -Eclipse has been released and has hit the most viewed item this week. These clips get more views and create the hype to get people to go see the movie.